This re-mastered version of Collins' first solo album has been spruced up by Nick Davis, who has worked on ll the Genesis retrospective reissues.
And here, for true Collins afficionados, are those drums on In The Air Tonight in crystal clear surround sound.
The enhancement is so powerful you can feel the silence as the anticipation builds for the drum solo.
Later, in what must be Collins' most personal album, the guitar solo and trumpet backing bring Thunder and Lightning to life.
Most of the tracks stand the test of time, but some, like If Leaving Me is Easy, belong in the forgotten land of 80s ballads preceded by a saxophone introduction.
The second disc is packed with demos, listen out for Against All Odds - stripped bare with all the potential for a number one record - something Collins didn't realise at the time!
One for the true fans and for those traditionalists who appreciate the careful and precise ordering of album tracks missing from today's releases.
© dorsetecho, by Joanna Davis
- Classic Genesis Albums Heading For 180g Vinyl Reissue
- Tony Banks: I read Mike’s book and I didn’t like it very much
- Tony Banks on His Latest Classical Album & the Odds of a 50th Anniversary Reunion
- 35 Years Ago: Peter Gabriel's 'Security' and the Long Journey Toward Success
- Facts About "No Jacket Required"