Wave four of the Phil Collins reissue project is a bit out of the normal.
While all of the deluxe editions released so far have expanded on the original album, and that is the case with 1989’s …But Seriously, Collins has actually cut down the track list on his 2010 album Going Back even though it comes with a second disc of bonus material. Both will be out June 10.
First up is Phil’s fourth solo album, …But Seriously, originally released on November 20, 1989. Recorded at The Farm in Surrey, England, the new set got away from electronic drum machines used extensively on Collin’s previous release, No Jacket Required and the return of a jazz-influenced instrumental track (Saturday Night and Sunday Morning) which he had used on earlier albums.
By the time …But Seriously was released, there were already signs that the music public was getting oversaturated with Collins on the radio. For almost a decade, he had a near constant presence on the charts between his solo career and work with Genesis and the new album was the last to produce multiple top ten hits including Another Day in Paradise (1989 / #1), I Wish It Would Rain Down (1990 / #3) and Something Happened on the Way to Heaven (1990 / #4). Collins would only have one more top ten hit, Do You Remember? (1990 / #4) from his Serious Hits…Live!
21 years later, Collins released what may be his final studio album, Going Back. An album of covers from the days of Motown and 60’s soul, it was released in two versions, an 18-song standard and 25-track deluxe edition.
In the six years since the original release of Going Back, Collins, himself, had decided that the album was too ambitious so, with the deluxe version, he has actually cut the track list down to a 14-track abridged version.
Both albums have a second disc with bonus material. For …But Seriously, there’s six live performances, four B-sides and three demos while, on Going Back, it’s sixteen live performances from Collins’ very short, six-date, tour in support of the album.
As with the previous albums in the series, Phil has shot a new cover for …But Seriously that mimics the original; however, for Going Back, he has shot an entirely new cover showing him holding drum sticks.
The track lists:
…But Seriously: Deluxe Edition
Disc 1 (Original Album)
- Hang In Long Enough
- That’s Just the Way It Is
- Do You Remember?
- Something Happened on the Way to Heaven
- I Wish It Would Rain Down
- Another Day in Paradise
- Heat on the Street
- All of My Life
- Saturday Night and Sunday Morning
- Father to Son
- Find a Way to My Heart
Disc 2 (Extras)
- Hang in Long Enough (Live)
- Something Happened on the Way to Heaven (Live)
- Colours (Live)
- Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (Live)
- Always (Live)
- Find a Way to My Heart (Live)
- That’s How I Feel (CD single B-side to Hang In Long Enough)
- You’ve Been in Love (That Little Bit Too Long) (12″ B-side to I Wish It Would Rain Down)
- Another Day in Paradise (Demo) (B-side to I Wish It Would Rain Down)
- That’s Just the Way It Is (Demo)
- I Wish It Would Rain Down (Demo) (B-side to Something Happened on the Way to Heaven)
- Hang In Long Enough (Demo)
- Do You Remember? (Demo)
The Essential Going Back
Disc 1 (The Essential Going Back)
- Going Back
- Girl (Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)
- (Love is Like a) Heatwave
- Some of Your Lovin’
- Going to a Go-Go
- Papa Was a Rolling Stone
- Loving You is Sweeter Than Ever
- Something About You
- Talkin’ About My Baby
- Do I Love You
- Never Dreamed You’d Leave in Summer
- Take Me in Your Arms (Rock Me for a Little While)
- Too Many Fish in the Sea
- Uptight (Everything’s Alright)
Disc 2 (Extras)
- Signed Sealed Delivered (I’m Yours) (Live)
- Ain’t Too Proud to Beg (Live)
- Girl (Why You Wanna Make Me Blue) (Live)
- Dancing in the Street (Live)
- (Love is Like a) Heatwave (Live)
- Papa Was a Rolling Stone (Live)
- Never Dreamed You’d Leave in Summer (Live)
- Talkin’ About My Baby (Live)
- Do I Love You (Live)
- Ain’t That Peculiar (Live)
- Too Many Fish in the Sea (Live)
- You Really Got a Hold on Me (Live)
- Something About You (Live)
- Uptight (Everything’s Alright) (Live)
- My Girl (Live)
- Going Back (Live)
© Noise11, by VVN Music
- Mike & The Mechanics to support Phil Collins in London
- Phil Collins' Teenage Son Nic Talks Drumming for Dad
- Phil Collins: "I'm proud of my homeless hit Another Day In Paradise"
- Blondie will support Phil Collins at his Aviva Stadium gig this summer
- Once Upon a Time in the Top Spot: Phil Collins, …But Seriously
Latest from GenesisFan
- 10 Reasons Peter Gabriel's 'Solsbury Hill' Is One of the Greatest Songs of All Time
- Peter Gabriel’s Solo Debut: A Look Back, 40 Years Later
- Where Is Peter Gabriel? 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
- Review: Mike + The Mechanics, York Barbican, February 17
- Mike + The Mechanics 'new boy' Andrew Roachford talks about their 2017 tour