Sports stars will rub elbows on October 6, when Phil Collins and Gloria Estefan will be among the honorees at a New York City benefit dinner to raise money for paralysis and spinal cord injury research.
At the 30th Annual Great Sports Legends Dinner at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel, Collins and his former wife, Orianne, will be presented with the Humanitarian Award for their ongoing charitable work, including through the Little Dreams Foundation, an international charity they established that helps aspiring young talents without financial means achieve their goals.
Meanwhile, Estefan and her husband, Emilio, will receive the Buoniconti Fund Inspiration Award on behalf of The Buoniconti Fund to Cure Paralysis, which raises money to support The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis at Florida’s University of Miami. The Estefans have been involved with the Project since Gloria broke her back in a 1994 tour bus accident.
No word whether Collins and Estefan will perform at the event, but the entertainment lineup does include The Beach Boys and The Pointer Sisters. Sports stars who’ll be at the fundraiser include Olympic champion figure skater Michelle Kwan, former tennis pro Jennifer Capriati, NBA Hall of Famer Karl Malone and former New York Yankees catcher Jorge Posada, among others.
For more information, including how to buy tickets, visit TheBuonicontiFund.com/GSLD.
The Buoniconti Fund was created by NFL Hall of Famer Nick Buoniconti and his son, Marc, the latter of whom became a quadriplegic in 1985 when his spinal cord was injured while playing college football.
© ABC Radio
- Phil Collins Announces 4th Annual Dreaming On The Beach Gala
- Phil Collins and his ex-wife Orianne Cevey put on a cosy display at charity music event
- Phil Collins and Orianne announce linup for 3rd annual dreaming on the beach gala
- Kids auditioned for Phil Collins’ Little Dreams Foundation
- Phil Collins hits the stage in Lausanne this Friday June 3
Latest from GenesisFan
- Flashback: Mike and the Mechanics Hit Number One With 'The Living Years'
- Mike Rutherford open to Genesis reunion: 'We’re all fit and healthy and good friends'
- Genesis reunion? Phil Collins tells us to ask Mike Rutherford - so we did
- 35 Years Ago: Phil Collins Leads Genesis-Heavy 'Against All Odds' Soundtrack
- 50 Years Ago Today - Genesis Released Debut LP 'From Genesis to Revelation'