Phil Collins has revealed he almost drank himself to death after his ex-wife Orianne Cevey moved to Miami, Florida with the couple's two sons and left him alone in Switzerland.
The former Genesis star tells Rolling Stone magazine he developed pancreatitis as a result of his boozing, and needed rehab help to clean up and get sober - leaving him with plenty of time to think about his life.
"(My ex-wife's departure) left me with a lot of time on my hands to think about what happened," the rock star says. "I went through a few bits of darkness, drinking too much.
"I killed my hours watching TV and drinking, and it almost killed me."
Collins, who was married to his third wife Cevey from 1999 to 2006, has since moved to Miami Beach to be closer to the couple's sons Matthew and Nicholas - and he no longer touches booze.
"I haven't had a drink in three years," he proudly boasts.
With a clean and clear head on his shoulders, Collins has announced he's giving up retirement and planning to return to the road for dates in 2016.
© Contactmusic, by WENN
Latest from GenesisFan
- Steve Hackett to Perform Genesis' 1977 Live LP 'Seconds Out' on 2020 Tour
- Church’s Giant Baby Jesus Statue Looks Like Phil Collins
- Phil Collins’ …But Seriously set for 30th anniversary reissue
- Phil Collins is Still Not Dead Yet
- Phil Collins takes sold-out crowd at Talking Stick Resort Arena on an emotional journey