Phil Collins has revealed he almost drank himself to death after his ex-wife Orianne Cevey moved to Miami, Florida with the couple's two sons and left him alone in Switzerland.
The former Genesis star tells Rolling Stone magazine he developed pancreatitis as a result of his boozing, and needed rehab help to clean up and get sober - leaving him with plenty of time to think about his life.
"(My ex-wife's departure) left me with a lot of time on my hands to think about what happened," the rock star says. "I went through a few bits of darkness, drinking too much.
"I killed my hours watching TV and drinking, and it almost killed me."
Collins, who was married to his third wife Cevey from 1999 to 2006, has since moved to Miami Beach to be closer to the couple's sons Matthew and Nicholas - and he no longer touches booze.
"I haven't had a drink in three years," he proudly boasts.
With a clean and clear head on his shoulders, Collins has announced he's giving up retirement and planning to return to the road for dates in 2016.
© Contactmusic, by WENN
- Phil Collins looks in good spirits as he supports wife Orianne at her jewellery launch
- Flashback: Phil Collins Says 'Farewell' on 2005 Tour
- Phil Collins announces first North American tour in 12 years
- Tony Banks Says Genesis Are Probably Done for Good
- Phil Collins Performs for Jubilant Fans in the Rain in Uruguay