It has now been proven that the Genesis singer/drummer/songwriter is the originator of hipsterism.
Phil Collins, also known as the world's first hipster... wait, WHAT?!
Yes, it has emerged today that the Genesis drummer/singer, the butt of oh-so many jokes about being uncool, was in fact the first ever hipster.
A picture posted on Twitter by reality TV producer Peter Karlin has taken a life of its own - the picture showed a young(er) Phil Collins, with full beard, trucker hat, and a grey hoodie unzipped to show off a modest chest of hair.
So, hipsters, remember that next time you step out of the house, you are aligning yourself with a man who simultaneously played drums and sang in a prog band.
This has redefined hipsterism, so put your MicroKorgs down and step towards that drum kit.
If you image search the Phil Collins picture, and look at the visually similar images list, it pulls up 11 images of hipsters, thus proving that Phil is possibly the most important fashion icon of our time.
© Mirror, by Richard Beech
Latest from GenesisFan
- David Crosby Shares His Opinions About Phil Collins And How They Ended Up Recording A Song Together
- Watch a young Phil Collins with pre-Genesis band Flaming Youth
- Behind The Song: "The Living Years" by Mike + The Mechanics
- Phil Collins' ex Orianne Cevey to vacate his Miami house by mid-January
- Flashback: Genesis Take Fans Back to the 'Distant, Dark' Seventies