You’ll have to excuse Phil Collins if he wants to relax. At 62, the music megalegend is enjoying some well deserved down time.
So what of all these questions about his old band Genesis reuniting for a tour?
"I’ve gone off the idea as quickly as I went on it," said Collins from the Fontainebleau Miami Beach Wednesday. He was there with ex wife Orianne Collins Mejjati, to announce that their 13-year-old charity, The Little Dreams Foundation, is expanding to South Florida.
"I’m thinking I don’t want to disrupt my life," said the famed drummer turned soloist. "I joined Genesis when I was 19. That was a long time ago. I don’t want to wake up in a hotel room in a city I don’t know. I think it’s probably time to sit back and do other things."
Among those other things: working more with the international charity, which helps disadvantaged kids reach their goals in sports and the arts. He also wants to spend more time in South Florida, where Orianne and the ex couple’s two sons, Nicholas, 12, and Matthew, 9, now live (Collins also has three adult children, including actress Lily Collins, from his first two marriages). Orianne owns an eponymous jewelry boutique in the Design District.
Collins, who is based in Switzerland, may even get a place in Miami. There could be worse destinations.
"I like seasons, but this is nice coming here," said the I Don’t Care Anymore singer, stretched out in a cabana at the hotel’s Arkadia pool. "In England, this is like a warm summer’s day. I’m even thinking of taking my shirt off, but I won’t."
Right. When you’re Phil Collins you do what you want, go where you want, talk to whom you want.
"I’m not a social animal," the rock royal admitted with a laugh. "I’ve lived my whole life being nice to people. I’m kind of over that now."
Another thing not to expect from Collins: tweets of any kind.
"It’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I don’t do anything like that. It’s not something I have the time for," he said. "I think what’s sad — OK, that’s too strong a word — what’s unfortunate is that people are kind of pressured into it because it’s what everyone else does. Computers are a necessary evil."
© Miami Herald, by Maddy Marr
- Phil Collins and his partner Orianne Cevey hit the red carpet together
- Phil Collins Announces 4th Annual Dreaming On The Beach Gala
- Phil Collins looks in good spirits as he supports wife Orianne at her jewellery launch
- Phil Collins and his ex-wife Orianne Cevey put on a cosy display at charity music event
- Phil Collins and Orianne announce linup for 3rd annual dreaming on the beach gala
Latest from GenesisFan
- Phil Collins starts his first Australian tour in 23 years on Saturday
- In defence of Phil Collins: what is the genesis of all the hatred?
- Could Phil Collins headline Isle of Wight Festival 2019?
- Phil Collins reveals what it's like performing on stage alongside his talented musician son Nicholas, 17
- Here’s A Rock Cover Of Phil Collins’ In The Air Tonight