Peter Gabriel has been hard at work on his first album since 2011’s New Blood. For the past six weeks, he’s uploaded pictures from the recording studio onto social media, giving everybody a glimpse into the making of the record.
The swell of activity began on May 27, when a post to Gabriel’s Facebook page included two photos of a computer screen bearing the name of a project called "PG new album 2014-2015 all May Radio E song version 6." Later updates featured pictures of Ged Lynch behind a drum kit, Gabriel’s hands on a keyboard and the incredible steps he’s taken to back up the music onto hard drives.
Gabriel’s last album of all-new material was 2002’s Up. Since then, he’s released two orchestral records — Scratch My Back, a 2010 collection of covers, and New Blood from 2011, which reworked some of his older songs. In November, he debuted an unreleased song, "What Lies Ahead," at a concert in Turin, Italy.
The singer and songwriter has admitted to being a major procrastinator. A large part of the delay is also Gabriel’s tendency to not be satisfied with a track once it’s finished. "I really need to stop doing other things and lock myself away for a while," he said in 2013. "It probably hasn’t moved nearly as much as I would have liked to in the intervening time.The songs are still there, but some of them I would redo now and there’s some new stuff as well. I keep arranging until the cows come home, which is sometimes a weakness."
© Ultimateclassicrock, by Dave Lifton
- Peter Gabriel Announces Limited Edition 'Rated PG' Album
- Classic Genesis Albums Heading For 180g Vinyl Reissue
- Tony Banks: I read Mike’s book and I didn’t like it very much
- Tony Banks on His Latest Classical Album & the Odds of a 50th Anniversary Reunion
- 35 Years Ago: Peter Gabriel's 'Security' and the Long Journey Toward Success
Latest from GenesisFan
- Mike Rutherford on Reviving the Mechanics and the Future of Genesis
- Peter Gabriel is Back with New Compilation Single
- Phil Collins expands "Still Not Dead Yet" tour, adds 2nd MSG show
- Mike + The Mechanics release ‘Out Of The Blue’, set to go on tour with Phil Collins in June
- Mike & The Mechanics at Royal Albert Hall Review: Finely tuned show of career highlights