Peter Gabriel is to launch remastered, limited edition vinyl versions of his first four solo records – marking their return to the format for the first time since 2002.
It's the first in a series that will see all his records available in vinyl.
The eponymous albums – referred to as 1 to 4 or Car, Scratch, Melt and Security, based on their cover art – followed his departure from Genesis in 1975, and established him as a solo artist.
Gabriel says: "I really wanted the first record to be different from what I’d done with Genesis, so we were trying to do things in different styles. A bit of barbershop, which Tony Levin helped with. There were more bluesy things, a variety of songs and arrangements that were consciously trying to provide something different."
Each 180g double album is presented in gatefold sleeve in an individually-numbered run of 10,000 copies worldwide. Long out-of-print German vocal versions of Gabriel’s third and fourth albums will be limited to 3,000 copies each. Each pack will include a download cards with a choice of resolution: hi-res 24-bit/96k or 16-bit/44.1k.
They arrive on October 22 on Real World via Caroline International, and they're available for pre-order now.
Gabriel re-released his 2004 Play DVD in May and contributed a track to the newly-issues The Art Of Peace: Songs For Tibet II, a compilation marking the 80th birthday of the Dalai Lama. His most recent album is 2011’s New Blood, which presented orchestral re-recordings of various tracks from his solo career. He's currently working on new music.
Peter Gabriel 1 – CAR (1977)
A1: Moribund The Burgermeister
A2: Solsbury Hill
B1: Modern Love
B2: Excuse Me
C2: Waiting For The Big One
D1: Down The Dolce Vita
D2: Here Comes The Flood
Peter Gabriel 2 – Scratch (1978)
A1: On The Air
A3: Mother of Violence
B1: A Wonderful Day In A One-Way World
B2: White Shadow
C2: Animal Magic
D1: Flotsam and Jetsam
D3: Home Sweet Home
Peter Gabriel 3 - Melt (1980)
A2: No Self Control
B2: I Don’t Remember
B3: Family Snapshot
B4: And Through The Wire
C1: Games Without Frontiers
C2: Not One Of Us
D1: Lead A Normal Life
Peter Gabriel 4 – Security (1982)
A1: The Rhythm Of The Heat
A2: San Jacinto
B1: I Have The Touch
B2: The Family and The Fishing Net
C1: Shock The Monkey
C2: Lay Your Hands On Me
D2: Kiss Of Life
© Classic Rock, by Bruce Henne
Matt Colton from Alchemy Mastering discusses the new vinyl re-issues of Peter Gabriel’s first four self-titled solo albums.
The albums, including the two German versions of Peter Gabriel 3 and 4, have been Half Speed Remastered and cut to lacquers at 45RPM. The albums, released on 2 October 2015, will be pressed on Double Vinyl (180g) and come with sleeve imagery sourced and re-scanned from the original artwork.
More details at www.petergabriel.com/vinyl
- Phil Collins’ …But Seriously set for 30th anniversary reissue
- Phil Collins' most famous song "In The Air Tonight" on an exclusive Vinyl-Single
- Genesis live album Seconds Out to get new vinyl reissue
- Two Phil Collins Live Sets – Serious Hits…Live!, A Hot Night In Paris – To Be Reissued
- Classic Genesis Albums Heading For 180g Vinyl Reissue
Latest from GenesisFan
- How to Recreate Phil Collins’ Legendary "In the Air Tonight" Drum Fill
- The Number Ones: Genesis' "Invisible Touch"
- Steve Hackett Opens Up About His Current Relationship With Genesis: "We Were A Band Of Brothers"
- Orianne Cevey's 'outrageous' claims about Phil Collins to be cut from lawsuit
- David Crosby Shares His Opinions About Phil Collins And How They Ended Up Recording A Song Together