Peter Gabriel wants to give his iconic Genesis stage outfits to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but most of them have rotted away.
The Sledgehammer hitmaker was known for his outlandish and bizarre clothing during his time in the band, with his most famous being an arrangement of petals around his head to create a flower 'hat'.
Officials at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame have asked Gabriel if they can take possession of the outfits to archive them for posterity, but most of them have already been wrecked by the ravages of time.
The damage is so bad that Gabriel is even considering remaking some of the costumes so they can be displayed for the public.
He tells Uncut magazine, "A lot of them have rotted away. I'm being asked by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to pull out a few; they'd like to get some memorabilia. But there's not much. Some of the clothing is still intact, like the flower mask. But I'm wondering about re-creating one. A fan re-created one which has survived better than the original, which like a lot of painted rubber product, had dissolved as kids' toys do in the garden.
"Do I have a big archive? I've tried, but I'm not as methodical as (David) Bowie, who obviously intended to be historical at the time he was being modern."
© Contactmusic, by WENN
Latest from GenesisFan
- How to Recreate Phil Collins’ Legendary "In the Air Tonight" Drum Fill
- The Number Ones: Genesis' "Invisible Touch"
- Steve Hackett Opens Up About His Current Relationship With Genesis: "We Were A Band Of Brothers"
- Orianne Cevey's 'outrageous' claims about Phil Collins to be cut from lawsuit
- David Crosby Shares His Opinions About Phil Collins And How They Ended Up Recording A Song Together