Peter Gabriel‘s 1986 smash hit record ‘So’ will be featured in the next installment of Eagle Rock Entertainment’s popular ‘Classic Albums’ series. The documentary, which aired on the BBC in March, will be released on DVD and Blu-ray on Sept. 18.
The video features interviews with Gabriel, co-producer Daniel Lanois and many of the musicians who played on ‘So.’ In addition to the hour-long documentary, the release features 30 minutes of additional footage not used in the broadcast.
‘So’ was Peter Gabriel’s fifth solo album after leaving Genesis and far and away his most successful, selling five million copies in America. Five of its nine songs were hit singles, with ‘Big Time’ cracking the Top 10 and ‘Sledgehammer’ reaching No. 1.
‘Sledgehammer’s’ success was helped by its groundbreaking stop-motion video. Another one of its hits, ‘In Your Eyes’ was used to great effect in a famous scene in Cameron Crowe’s 1989 movie ‘Say Anything…’
In addition to the documentary, this September looks to be a big month for Gabriel and the ‘So’ album. It will be given the re-issue treatment so common with classic albums these days, released as a CD, a triple-CD and a super deluxe box set. Gabriel will also undertake a 14-date tour of North America, playing ‘So’ in its entirety.
© Ultimate Classic Rock, by Dave Lifton
Latest from GenesisFan
- Flashback: Mike and the Mechanics Hit Number One With 'The Living Years'
- Mike Rutherford open to Genesis reunion: 'We’re all fit and healthy and good friends'
- Genesis reunion? Phil Collins tells us to ask Mike Rutherford - so we did
- 35 Years Ago: Phil Collins Leads Genesis-Heavy 'Against All Odds' Soundtrack
- 50 Years Ago Today - Genesis Released Debut LP 'From Genesis to Revelation'