Peter Gabriel‘s 1986 smash hit record ‘So’ will be featured in the next installment of Eagle Rock Entertainment’s popular ‘Classic Albums’ series. The documentary, which aired on the BBC in March, will be released on DVD and Blu-ray on Sept. 18.
The video features interviews with Gabriel, co-producer Daniel Lanois and many of the musicians who played on ‘So.’ In addition to the hour-long documentary, the release features 30 minutes of additional footage not used in the broadcast.
‘So’ was Peter Gabriel’s fifth solo album after leaving Genesis and far and away his most successful, selling five million copies in America. Five of its nine songs were hit singles, with ‘Big Time’ cracking the Top 10 and ‘Sledgehammer’ reaching No. 1.
‘Sledgehammer’s’ success was helped by its groundbreaking stop-motion video. Another one of its hits, ‘In Your Eyes’ was used to great effect in a famous scene in Cameron Crowe’s 1989 movie ‘Say Anything…’
In addition to the documentary, this September looks to be a big month for Gabriel and the ‘So’ album. It will be given the re-issue treatment so common with classic albums these days, released as a CD, a triple-CD and a super deluxe box set. Gabriel will also undertake a 14-date tour of North America, playing ‘So’ in its entirety.
© Ultimate Classic Rock, by Dave Lifton
Latest from GenesisFan
- Phil Collins starts his first Australian tour in 23 years on Saturday
- In defence of Phil Collins: what is the genesis of all the hatred?
- Could Phil Collins headline Isle of Wight Festival 2019?
- Phil Collins reveals what it's like performing on stage alongside his talented musician son Nicholas, 17
- Here’s A Rock Cover Of Phil Collins’ In The Air Tonight