Genesis co-founder Mike Rutherford didn’t often return to moments with old band during this year’s tour with Mike and the Mechanics. In fact, over a nearly two-hour set, Rutherford included no more than three Genesis tracks.
Mike and the Mechanics began as a side project in the mid-1980s, with a series of sessions musicians and guest vocalists — including Paul Carrack and Paul Young — assembling in order to bring to life the songs of Rutherford, composer B.A. Robertson and producer Christopher Neil. The group’s self-titled 1985 debut included two Top 10 hits, "Silent Running" and "All I Need is a Miracle," both sung by Carrack. Two years later, Mike and the Mechanics saw the single "The Living Years" top the pop charts, with Carrack again handling the lyric.
Young, however, died of a heart attack in 2000. Carrack has also since left for a solo career.
Mike and the Mechanics has carried on with a new pair of singers in Andrew Roachford and Tim Howar. Together this summer, they performed Genesis’ "Throwing It All Away," "Follow You, Follow Me" and "I Can’t Dance" as well as selections from throughout the Mechanics’ own lengthy discography, including "All I Need Is A Miracle" and "The Living Years."
Rutherford, in a talk with Genesis-News, says that’s really as far back as he’s willing to go — despite the fact that former band members like Steve Hackett and Ray Wilson have devoted entire concerts and album projects to Genesis.
"Well, I find it kind of strange," Rutherford says. "I know Ray does it a lot. I rather live in the "now." I find it strange, going back and play these songs … it’s not for me. If I were Steve … I’d rather do something new."
Rutherford also confirmed that Mike and the Mechanics’ The Living Years, a No. 13 album hit, is set for a deluxe reissue, with additional live cuts and a new version of the title track with Roachford handling lead vocals.
© Something Else! Reviews
- Mike Rutherford open to Genesis reunion: 'We’re all fit and healthy and good friends'
- 50 Years Ago Today - Genesis Released Debut LP 'From Genesis to Revelation'
- Interview: Steve Hackett on Performing Unreleased Genesis Songs
- Genesis: the miracle of A Trick Of The Tail and life without Peter Gabriel
- Guitarist Daryl Stuermer Talks 40-Year Career With Genesis, Phil Collins
Latest from GenesisFan
- Mike Rutherford on Reviving the Mechanics and the Future of Genesis
- Peter Gabriel is Back with New Compilation Single
- Phil Collins expands "Still Not Dead Yet" tour, adds 2nd MSG show
- Mike + The Mechanics release ‘Out Of The Blue’, set to go on tour with Phil Collins in June
- Mike & The Mechanics at Royal Albert Hall Review: Finely tuned show of career highlights