The stage was laden with scaffolding & Genesis flightcases. This was a show not just a set list – rifle shot endings – beautiful arrangements with top drawer production.
A perfect blend of musicianship & audience engagement.
10 million sales isn’t bad for a Saturday job Rutherford started whilst Phil Collins was having yet Another day in Paradise & misprounouncing the word "studio".
Instruments were passed amongst musicians such was the multi-talented line-up.
Rutherford’s mechanics have created a well oiled machine.
The sound was perfect from the off– a rarity for the Barbican & a credit to the respect shown to the crowd.
Rutherford looks so happy on stage – an ambassador for British songwriting. His years of effort have created clear contentment & love of his work.
Songs like "Silent Running", "The Living Years" & "all I need is a Miracle" had the crowd singing as one.
New songs "Let me fly" showcased Roachford’s gospel credentials. Rutherford hasn’t sent his musical autobiography to the printers just yet as there are exciting chapters still being written.
Canadian Tim The Power Howard doesn’t have a range as that suggests there are notes he can’t hit.
He out-Collinsed Phil on the crowdpleaser "Turn it on again" - his accuracy & dynamic showed what a athlete of melody he is Roachford untouched by age is ,in contrast, effortless in his delivery. Music seems to flow through his veins as his shoulders swaggered like a sidewinder.
His clav work could have made even Stevie wonder.
Four years ago Rutherford brought a group of hired guns to York. Tonight he brought a band- If these Mechanics had to put tonight through its MOT it would sail through.
© York Press, by Ian Donaghy
- Q&A with Genesis musician Mike Rutherford
- Mike Rutherford on Reviving the Mechanics and the Future of Genesis
- Mike + The Mechanics release ‘Out Of The Blue’, set to go on tour with Phil Collins in June
- Mike & The Mechanics at Royal Albert Hall Review: Finely tuned show of career highlights
- Mike and the Mechanics, Portsmouth Guildhall, Review: ‘An immaculately executed show’
Latest from GenesisFan
- The 10 Best Genesis Songs – voted for by Prog readers
- Phil Collins Is Still Alive: Report From The Concert In Warsaw
- Phil Collins makes rare appearance as he’s spotted in wheelchair and using walking stick
- Phil Collins' most famous song "In The Air Tonight" on an exclusive Vinyl-Single
- Phil Collins was back on a Dutch stage again after fifteen years